Thursday, May 7, 2009

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE FILM REVIEW


I've been itching to write a review about this movie and I finally got the time to do it. I've seen Slumdog Millionaire last week and after watching it, I was supremely awed by the movie's excellence. Slumdog is about a life of a young man named Jamal Malik who enters an Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and wins the coveted 20 million rupees. He was then suspected of cheating because they never thought that an uneducated 18-year old slumdog could win that big of an amount. But then he proved them wrong for it was his life's experience that made him knew the answers to the questions given. He's not a genius and he never cheated, but it was fate that made him a winner.


First off, let me give my insights on the film's technicality. I think that the film's cinematography was surreal. It presents the lush complexity of the life in the slums of Mumbai. The garbage, the stench, the cramped spaces looked so real but never presented in a manner that was utterly disgusting. Instead, it will make you feel pity to the people who live in that place. Praises for Danny Boyle on that one.


Second, let's discuss the actors. The actors' performance were okay. Though I must say that I have to agree on the others that Dev Patel (Jamal Malik) showed little versatility on emotions. He looked dumbfounded most of the time and it was a bit cliche but nevertheless, it didn't ruin the film.


Frieda Pinto's portrayal as the childhood friend/love interest is okay but a little bit bland. But anyway, there's always room for improvement. She's a good girl and has the potential of becoming a great actress.


Now what is very interesting in this film are the actors who played the game show host and the kids. The game show host, Anil Kapoor, is somewhat effectively annoying. You would love to hate his character in the movie. Also, the kids' acting were superb. I think they were the ones who cemented the quality of the film. They are just adorable.


Lastly, I will give my insights on the plot. I think the plot of this movie was the thing that most people and perhaps, critics, were raving and buzzing about. The plot showed the harsh realities of living in a life of poverty and how a person can survive and be successful even if he's faced with great danger and difficulties. It made me realized that the problems I face every single day that led me to hopelessness and depression were nothing compared to the protagonist's (or maybe, every single person who lived in the slums) problems. The film uplifts everyone's spirits and makes you believe that there is indeed a happily ever after.


It's a feel-good film and I highly recommend everyone to watch Slumdog Millionaire especially to those people who have lost hope or want to feel good about themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment